Friday, December 3, 2010

My Quilt!

Well I pulled out the Martha Stewart skills to update/revamp Katy's bedroom. Mostly I just wanted an excuse to make Katy a really nice quilt. I had so much fun making her crib quilt that I convinced Steve that she needed to have one for her bed.

For her first quilt I only spent about 30 dollars on all the fabric and materials I used in the entire room....including the valance and the pillows amongst other things. My quilt? Well it cost more than 30$ for sure but I broke it down into sections.

It all started when I visited Material Girls Quilt Shop on 106th and Redwood. I saw this quilt in the back and I was in love! Previous to that I had found a really cute quilted pillow sham at the Down East Clearance Center for a 1$ that I wanted to try to copy. I was having a hard time though finding the right fabrics, which is why I went to Material Girls (love that place by the way!). Any who I saw this quilt and thought that it would be perfect in Katy's room with what we had going on in there already. So I bought the pattern, a few weeks later I bought the material (I was still able to use a lot of the left over fabric from her first quilt). I next sewed this thing. I was a crazy woman, I couldn't stop I had so much fun. I completed this quilt in 2 days watching dateline at night after Katy went to bed!

My next dilemma all started when I didn't know what to do next. How was I going to put this thing together? I am NOT a fan of the tied quilt. And although I would have loved to quilt it myself I decided that I didn't want to ruin the thing! The only problem was that everyone that I talked to up here wanted like 125$ or so to machine quilt it...and that didn't include the batting! I finally found a gal up in Bear River through my sister Britney's SIL Angie. I figured I was up there enough that I didn't mind taking it north. Her SIL Angie picked it up from Brit when she was in town and the rest is history. I really didn't know what to expect because I told this gal just to do whatever she thought would be best. She BLEW my mind because when I got this thing back I was in love! And she only charged me 80$ and that included the warm and natural batting! I am SO PLEASED with how it all turned out. I guess I will have to get a better picture of how the whole thing turned out overall but this is something that Katy will have forever!

I am in love with the paper flowers and had to make some for Katy's room. I love how they add a touch of whimsy to the corner over there. They were super cheap and easy to make. You can find the tutorial HERE.

She sewed "veins" into all of the leaves....I think there are like 40 leaves on this thing! She took so much time paying attention to the detail. I think the reason that I love this quilt so much is because of these cute flowers. She also made sure to quilt around each one of them so that as it wears the edges of the fabric will curl up and create some dimension like they were supposed to!

I used the super soft minky dot fabric for the back. I was lucky to get this for less than 9$ a yard. I wouldn't have though to even use this on the back but the one in the store had it. I love how it feels and it turned out great!

This part is still a work in progress. I am working on finishing the pillow sham in the back there....you probably can't even see it. And I found another one of my great finds at Down East, another quilted sham in green....so cute! I also decided to grab some cheap white pillow cases from Walmart and sew on a flower to each of them. I love how they turned out!

So basically I just need to finish my pillow sham, and call me crazy I think in the spring I am going to attempt this bed found HERE, they have a twin I just like this picture better. I am also contemplating painting her dresser white? Who knows I guess I'll figure that out in the spring! For now I am proud of my Martha Stewart attempt!

Oh and another great tip. I love Pottery Barn. I get the catalogs and rip out all the pages to get inspired because I cant afford it for sure. Well I always love the paint they use and of course it's Benjamin Moore which is like 40$ a gallon. I got this paint at ACE. It's Benjamin Moore "Steam Green" color but it's scotch guard paint which is less than half the price. Also good if Katy decides she wants to write on the wall! Mom helped me paint when I was still preggers, too fun!

7 comments:

Sheena said...

Okay, Amy, you are freakin' me out! Who knew that this Jurasic Park lovin' tom boy could turn out to be such a girly crafter? I guess having a girl kinda forces it into ya! You quilt is so beautiful! I seriously love it! And to think I am still putting off making super simple super hero capes for my boys!

Luke and Marin said...

Oh my heck!! I'm such a looser, and you are so dang crafty! Way to go girl, it looks BEAUTIFUL!!

Britney said...

YAY!!! I've been dying to see what it looks like on her bed, in her room! PERFECT!

Love the flowers too!

Randi said...

wow that looks amazing!

Lance and Em said...

Oh my heart! I love Miss Katy's room! That quilt is so great... way to go!

Amy said...

So cute! My mom is making Addy a bedspread, I'm not a seamstress. Way to go Amy!

Kerry said...

I have to agree with Sheena, who would have thunk? Not your Mom for sure. Katy's quilt is amazing the whole room is just too cute!